Thursday, September 17, 2009

Week 2 Pick: Blowout

It's Thursday, which means it's time for me to make my picks for the coming week. Now, I'll be picking four games each week, each from a different category: Blowout, Upset, Marquee (biggest matchup/implications), and Most Interesting (which will be explained in the pick). Up first this week is my Blowout Pick for NFL Week 2.

Minnesota Vikings @ Detroit Lions

Over/Under: 46 1/2
Line: Vikings by 10 1/2

My Thoughts:
Listen, the Lions made the right moves this off-season. I like what they did on defense, overhauling the LB corps, drafting Delmas at the top of Round 2. The offense is a work in progress, and has some pieces that should make them pretty good eventually. But right now, week 2, 2009, they aren't ready for this match-up. The Vikings, with or without Brett Favre, are a team built to win big. They feature the best pure runner in the game, a powerful offensive line, and a stifling defense. Minnesota's run D will keep Kevin Smith down, forcing Matthew Stafford to throw more than Detroit wants him to.

Adrian Peterson is going to run wild, much like he did against the Browns. The Lions defense, despite worthwhile veteran additions Larry Foote and Julian Peterson, can't handle this guy. Detroit's secondary is weak enough for Brett Favre to open up more than he did last week, as he's well acquainted with their inadequacies.

I think the Lions can score on Minnesota's defense, but not a lot. Peterson, Harvin, Favre and company are simply too much for an overmatched Lions defense. I'll take the over on this one, because I expect the Vikings to put up good points, with the Lions putting up a slight fight, but getting whupped in the end. Lay the points on Minny, folks.

Prediction:
I'm going with the Vikings in a big, 2 touchdown-plus win over the Lions at Ford Field.
Vikings 34
Lions 17

No comments:

Post a Comment